What you will learn ?
In the Fieldwork
- How to dig and which archaeological techniques are used.
- Use and handling of the tools that are used during the excavation process.
- Detecting graves to excavate in the Necropolis.
- Exhume the skeletal remains and record any finds.
- Scale drawings and elevations of tombs/individuals within the tombs.
- Record funerary structures and anthropological remains in context sheets.
- Basic principles of stratigraphy.
- Basic procedures for collecting C14 samples.
In the Laboratory
- Prepare anthropological material in the laboratory.
- Cleaning, Inventory and cataloging of recovered human bones during the excavation process.
- Basics of the methods used in human osteological analysis, including skeletal anatomy, palaeodemography and palaeopathology.
- Learning how to identify age, sex and height of buried individuals.
- Relative dating based on the classification of archaeological artifacts discovered in stratigraphic sequence.
- Interpret what went on during the burial process of these individuals.
- Introduction to Physical Anthropology and Bioarchaeology
- Skeletal Anatomy –Terminology-: generalities, dental structure, skull and other bones.
- History, archaeology, economy and culture of the Roman civilization.
- Introduction to the History of the Sanisera Site.
- The background of Roman funerary rituals.
- Minorcan archaeology before the Roman conquest of the Balearic Islands.
Sanisera Archaeology Institute
Do you need help?
In Sanisera Archaeology Institute we will help you choose the best field program for you. Fill in our advice form without any obligation. In less than 48 hours we will contact you
Why choose us?
10 reasons to participate in our international summer courses.